Brighton History

Home April 2014 Event Fall 2013 Event Brighton History Rochester History Slide Presentations Ft. Myers Rochester Party History Research History Question Website Content Lectures Warren's Book Book Orders Warren's Blog Warren's Tours Mt. Hope Cemetery Mt. Hope Notables Rochester Trivia Interesting Facts Brighton Pioneers Brighton Facts Brighton Cemetery

Timeline of Early Brighton History

1669  French explorer LaSalle arrives at Irondequoit Bay & Creek by today's Ellison Park.
1721 Peter Schuyler, Jr. built a fort as an English trading post on Irondequoit Creek.
1789  John Lusk, first white settler arrives, builds log cabin near Irondequoit Bay.

1792  Orringh Stone builds log cabin where the Stone-Tolan House is today. It is the oldest building in Monroe County. 

1796  Town of Northfield, Ontario County was formed.
1797  Village of Tryon at Indian Landing founded by Judge John Tryon and was first white settlement west of Canandiagua. The Landing was the main point of access to the Genesee Valley for the Iroquois Nation. Images courtesy of Rochester Historical Society, Rochester, NY. Publication Fund Series. Click on these images to enlarge them.

indianlandingtablet.jpg (183579 bytes)   indianlanding1.jpg (84470 bytes)

1804 Grist mill built on Allyn's Creek for John Tryon by Noah Smith using the millstones from the first mill built at the Genesee Falls by Ebenezer Allan.
1805  Oliver Culver builds first framed house on east side of Genesee.
1808  Town of Northfield name was changed to Boyle, Ontario County; John Tryon died.
1811 Oliver Culver builds "Clarissa," a schooner at East Ave. & Clover; Team of oxen haul it to the Indian Landing on Irondequoit Creek.
1813  Town of Boyle name was changed to Smallwood, Ontario County.
1814  Smallwood divided into Brighton & Pittsford in March; Town of Brighton founded at meeting in Orringh Stone's Tavern on April 5.
1817 First Baptist Church of Brighton founded becoming First Baptist Church of Rochester; First post office established on May 12 with James Holton as postmaster.
1818  "City of Tryon" abandoned. Click here to learn more about the "Lost City of Tryon."
1820  Congregational Church originally built next to Brighton Cemetery; Population of Brighton about 2000
1821  Brighton Cemetery dedicated.
1823  357 acres of Brighton annexed by Rochester.
1825  Erie Canal officially opens.
1826  John Hagaman homestead at 895 Highland Ave. built with brick made by Gideon Cobb's Monroe Brickyards.
1839  Town of Irondequoit formed by taking more of Brighton.
1845  Clover Street Seminary founded by Issac Moore; Celestial Bloss first teacher
1850 Population of Brighton about 3000 
1860  John P. Tolan buys the old Orringh Stone homestead. 
1862 Rochester & Brighton horsedrawn Railroad begins operation.
1864  Gideon Cobb died.
1865 Clover Street Seminary sold to Episcopal Rev. Thomas Drum who opened a boy's boarding school with a tuition of $300/yr. The school was in existence for about 12 years.
1867 Original Brighton Congregational Church burns down in April (became Presbyterian in 1870).
1872 Brighton Presbyterian Church built on East Avenue.
1885  Village of Brighton, centered at Winton Rd. & East Avenue, incorporated. 

1890  Patrick W. Corbett buys land now called Corbett's Glen. Image courtesy Town of Brighton, Brighton, NY. Click on this image to enlarge it.

corbettsglen.jpg (122085 bytes)

1894  Brown Brothers Continental Nursery founded. 
1895 Rochester Country Club opens. Walter Hagen started as a caddy there, won the National Open in Chicago in 1914, a number of PGA championships, and was a dominant golfer in the world for over 20 years.
1896  Brighton Fire Department founded with two companies (Actives No.1 & Citizen's Hose Company).
1905  Brighton village annexed to City of Rochester; Population of Brighton about 3900
1919 Dedication plaque mounted to the famous Indian Council Rock in memory of  Nun-da-wa-o-na, who was the Seneca Keeper of the Western Door of the Iroquois nation.
1920 Barge Canal opens; one lock left in Brighton at Edgewood Ave.
1922 East Avenue Bus Company begins service to Brighton June 7.
1924 Harley School incorporated.
1927 Ellison Park, a gift of Frank T. Ellison, opened on October 1.

Home April 2014 Event Fall 2013 Event Brighton History Rochester History Slide Presentations Ft. Myers Rochester Party History Research History Question Website Content Lectures Warren's Book Book Orders Warren's Blog Warren's Tours Mt. Hope Cemetery Mt. Hope Notables Rochester Trivia Interesting Facts Brighton Pioneers Brighton Facts Brighton Cemetery